Kratom is a leafy tree that grows from 3-15 meters tall. Its leaves contain mitragynine and are chewed as an opiate substitute and stimulant in Thailand and South-East Asia, primarily among the working class. It has a relatively long history of human use.
Kratom is a very interesting plant. It is probably one of the most potent legal herbal psychoactives (without being a psychedelic) and its effects can be compared to that of opiates. However, unlike opiates, it is mildly stimulating, and has mild psychedelic properties that make it mix well with many psychedelic drugs, although most opiates are used to bring people down from unpleasant trips. The plant contains a plethora of different alkaloids with different effects, the concentrations of which vary between strains, seasons and localities which make the high of the plant complex and highly variable.
Considered a Stimulant; Intoxicant. With a duration of around 2 – 5 hours the effects include:
- Simultaneous stimulation & sedation
- Feelings of empathy
- Feelings of euphoria
- Aphrodisiac qualities for some people
- Vivid waking dreams
- Useful with physical labor
- Relatively short duration
- Change in ability to focus eyes
- Very bitter taste
- Dizziness, nausea and/or vomiting at higher doses
- Mild depression during and/or after
- Occasional Increase in (perceived?) body temperature. (feel hot and sweaty)
- Tiredness after comedown